Links code

Friday, April 23, 2010

Transatlantique Kriek


This is really part two of the Lips of Faith posting I did on the 9th which is two weeks ago today.    As I wrote last time, I’ve been following and reading The Mad Fermentationist for a few months now and that has lead me to seek out some Sour Beer.  I had never tried a sour beer before this.
Another of the ales produced by New Belgium Brewery I found at the local Specs is the Tranatlantique Kreik.  According to the New Belgium website
This authentic kriek beer began life in the oaken vessels at Frank Boon's brewery in the Lembeek region of Belgium.  After more than two years aging, Boon's offering shipped across the Atlantic and found its way to the intuitive palate of New Belgium's Brewmaster Peter Bouckaert.  After much sampling and internal consultation, Peter and his brew staff created a full-bodied golden lager to round out the light-bodied kriek.”
IMG_0061[1]  This ale poured out a light red and the aroma of cherries was wonderful.  As you can see from the photo the pale white head formed thick and lasted for a quite a while.
I found this ale from New Belgium to be very enjoyable.  The flavor of cherries was up front and not hidden in layers of other complex and indescribable flavors.  I finished the 22oz bottle without the level of effort I put into the La Folie Sour Brown ale and I would definitely purchase this again. 
The one thing I do not know about these ales is if they will lie down and keep for any period of time.  considering that they are already more than two years old, I would imagine that they keep fine, I just don’t know if they change/improve with age. 
This weekend I plan to bottle the Mayan Porter so look for an update on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment